On Making Mistakes

"The sages do not consider that making no mistakes is a blessing. They believe, rather,
that the great virtue of man lies in his ability to correct his mistakes and continually to make a new man of himself."
~Wang Yang-Ming

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A comedy/tragedy

 Inside these history books is a hillarious story

When I was 15 years old my father and I moved to a new town. It was a fairly new track home. The first owners only lived there a year and not much was done to the yard so the landscaping was going to be my job. The first week that I moved in, a girl named Lisa, who lived in the house behind me, came over to get to know me. Since it was summer vacation, we spent the whole day together just talking and goofing around. 

We wandered out into the yard so I could get a good look at what I had to think about for landscaping. I looked behind the shed and saw four green bushy bushes about three feet high. Lisa asked me if I knew what they were. I wasn't sure but leaves looked like marijuana leaves and I'd never seen a bush before. She told me I was right and then started suggesting we could make a lot of money if we sold it. I asked her how we would do that and she said we had to dry it first. I knew exactly how to do that since I had just learned how to dry flowers from my grandmother.

We spent hours picking the biggest most beautiful leaves and carefully placing them between wax paper and in between the pages of my 200 years history books. I thought we were doing a marvelous job and it was going to be an exciting adventure.


The next day I called Lisa to talk about what we would do this day, but she didn't answer. Then I went out to check on our plants and they were all completely gone. I ran into her before the summer was over and tried to talk about it with her, but she got really nasty with me. Then when school began she and her friends followed behind me walking home, calling me names and throwing rocks. 

I never could understand it when I was young. I tried to tell her that I did not take the plants for myself. However, I found out many years later it was her boyfriend who planted the seeds and he was the one who raided the crop. It was already part of the plan for her to defriend me. But the reason for the throwing of rocks was revealed to me by a friend of the boyfriend thirty years later, who was there at the time. The boyfriend was peeking through the fence as I was sunbathing and said some stuff out loud about wanting to tap that. It pissed her off and she took it out on me. I didn't want anything to do with her boyfriend, but I do still have all these lovely dried, pressed leaves. 

Lisa became a drug addict and alchoholic. At about 22 years old she was driving drunk after the clubs one night and ended up in a car accident which killed a whole family. She survived, but had to go to jail for manslaughter for about ten years. When she got out of jail she continued her substance abuse and died at around 34 years of age.

No comments:

Post a Comment