A favorite quote of mine is said by Democritus,
"Happiness resides not in possessions and not in gold, the feeling of happiness dwells in the soul."
His philosphies were not well received during his day, even Plato despised his teachings so much that he called for them to be burned. So being the philosophical underdog that he was, how could he carry on in such a positive way, and continue to stress the importance of cheerfulness as the "ultimate good?" He had plenty to be pissed off about.
For Democritus there are two ways of "knowing," one through the senses and one through the intellect. His teachings run deeper than the mind. We must move past innate human nature to achieve inner contenment and understand that inner peace can only be attained through practice and self-discipline. Though I like to think that the inner peace is in us all along, and we just have to kick out the rubbish produced by being human living in a society. If we can get beyond our need to be like others or accepted by the world, we might find happiness in just "being" this concentration of atoms that will one day disperse again.
If you believe that for every effect there is a cause, then everything we do will affect the world in some way. Why not focus on being cheerful? What good will being nasty and negative bring to the world? Do you really think it will bring positive change?
If we want love, we must give love. If we want the world to smile, we must begin to smile ourselves;~)
(and not an nasty, evil, vengeful smile...that is not a smile, that is a smirk!!!!)
I'm talking about a smile that erupts from the happiness and contentment in the soul.
2 comments:
great post:)
ive noticed that in most countries there is a right wing and left wing component and the right more militaristic and closed minded.
this is an election year and it seems people are more polarized than ever down here in florida.
i wish it was more laid back. i need to find a less consrvtive country to visit that is not as polarize or i think ill go grazy
Hello Rivercat,
I'm not actively political anymore. I have my views and I take advantage of my vote, but I don't try to help people see my position so much anymore. I do encourage people to vote, because what's the point in having a view, if you don't vote? May as well be barking at the moon.
I want to get away all the time, but this area is pretty relaxed really. My life has another kind of stress that I think will be the end of me eventually. Maybe I shouldn't be so negative.... I just find it hard to believe that I create this? I wouldn't will this on anyone. What I pray for these days is peace and solace.
Post a Comment