I'll begin with one of five year old me, that makes me cringe to think of it... what was I thinking?
My kittens were sleeping in the playhouse, which was more like dad's old tool shed, but it worked for me. I could see the two black feline brothers snuggled up together in a furry ball. The door to the shed was open. It was irresistible! I just had to get close enough to snuggle with them and listen to their purring. However based on past experience these kitties ran every time I came near them. They had been rescued from a feral momma cat. I wanted so much for them to stay in that same position and let me join them on the rug.
Unfortunately my playhouse was surrounded by this very noisy gravel. Dad called it pea gravel because it was shaped like peas. I started to step and could tell it wasn't going to be good, so then I looked about at all the things I could use as stepping stones to get to the shed door. A brick, an old bucket, a towel and a sideways empty aquarium would probably get me right to the door.
So I began my journey and reached the the aquarium which meant I only had to slip on quietly into the shed. Unfortunately even though I was maybe only 40 lbs, it was just too much weight by the time I pulled my other foot over, my feet went right through the glass and I screamed. The kitties went running, my feet sat in a pool of blood and glass. I didn't move, just stood there and cried. I think I was more upset about the kitties running and the trouble I would be in for breaking the aquarium, than I was about my feet. It didn't hurt at that point.
My mom who very rarely would have anything to do with me, actually came running out from hearing my scream. She scooped me up, carried me into the house, sat me on the counter and began pulling the glass out of my feet. I enjoyed the time she gave me, because it was one of the few times I really felt love and concern from her. She wrapped my feet, took me to the emergency room. I was fixed up with stitches and bandages and given a prescription of keeping feet raised and lots of television time which I usually was not allowed to have. So things worked out pretty well... I just never got my nap with the kitties.
2 comments:
too bad you almost made it
usually when i really try hard to not
make a noise disaster strikes
and the cats scatter
So familiar:~D and when I was little the cats always seemed to run from me. I wanted so much to pet them. I think people treated cats worse when I was young, so there was less trust. Most of the cats I see today come to me and we enjoy time together.
Post a Comment